Thursday 9 August 2012

Fifth visit - Ohio State University, Columbus

Well, what can I say about this visit...it was short, but very very sweet!! I spent one day with Captain David Rose of the Ohio State University Police. Former fellow, Dr Andrew Hart, suggested I visited Captain Rose and I am very glad I did. So much was packed into the day and it was a lot of fun to be driven around in a  Dodge undercover police car! 


The day started off with a tour of the police station followed by a behind the scene tour of the imposing Ohio State Football Stadium, home of the Buckeyes (capacity of around 102,000!!) 

We then headed over to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation Laboratory where Captain Rose kindly arrange a tour. We saw everything from the firearm and ballistics lab, to the DNA lab, to the chemistry lab. It was a seriously impressive set up and an absolutely amazing experience for me to have a one-on-one tour. Many thanks to the laboratory for allowing me to visit. 

The afternoon was spent having another behind the scene tour, this time at the Universities basketball stadium, as well as the glorious main library on campus. The students are very spoilt having such an amazing place to study! We also headed over to the anthropology lab where Captain Rose spends a lot of time. As well as working full time for the police, he managed to study for his undergraduate and masters degree in anthropology and has recently started his PhD studies. I find this extremely inspirational for someone who works such long hours in a highly demanding and challenging job. Hats off to you Dave!

We paid a visit to the Chemistry building to see who was about and managed to have a brief chat with some analytical research students as well as Professor Susan Olesik. A quick ten minute chat with Professor Olesik led to me delightfully discovering that they have a Direct Analysis in Real Time (DART - see next blog for more details) instrument heading their way this year as well as a very active entomology department. I hope to be in more contact with Susan in the future for some potential post doc opportunities, as she urged me to consider coming to Ohio State University! She sold it very well!

To wrap off a wonderful and productive day, I joined Dave and his lovely wife, Missy, for dinner. 

I would like to thank Dave for hosting me for the day. It was really enjoyable and if all goes well, I maybe seeing more of him in the future if funding becomes available for post doc opportunities at this impressive University. 


           Ohio State University Football Stadium

                                           One of the study rooms inside the library

                                                                                                                                     The beautiful building that homes the library

No comments:

Post a Comment